Found the Past in the Present

1988
I recently finished my educational goal and found myself with some extra time. Thanks to my hubby, who got me a negative scanner, I was able to get my negatives digitized. As I looked through my past, I found images of me as a teenager. I sat their looking at a young girl full of joy and possibilities, then I was sadly reminded of the pain she went through. She was often reminded how "ugly" and "fat" she was, and how she believed it. 


2012
I come from a petite family where the women are small and beautiful, and then there was me. Too big, too tall, and too pale for a Latina. It is amazing how hurtful words can be when adults speak to their children that way, especially teens. In my case, it that phrase, "you have a pretty face but..." My saving grace came from my mother and my auntie, who reminded me that there was nothing wrong with me.


My Son and I 2013
Today my son called me beautiful and at that moment all those negative words were forgotten for ever.


Comments

Popular Posts