Why I Like Lent

When I ask people if they are giving up anything for lent, every once in a while someone will say something insulting about the practice, and I'm okay with that. I may not be Catholic, but I do believe in a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. When Lent comes around, I use that opportunity to voluntarily give something up for 40 days and this is why.

There are several instances where important things happened during the period of 40 days. The book of Genesis talks about it raining for 40 days and nights. Moses spent 40 days and nights with the LORD in Exodus. Jesus was tempted for 40 days by the devil in Luke. Is it so wrong that I want to give up something I enjoy for 40 days?

This year I have decided on giving up sugar, and added spending an hour a day with Jesus either learning about him, reading my bible, or meditating on his word. It's something I want to do, though others think it's silly. At the end of those 40 days, I pray that I am a better person for it. 




Comments

Popular Posts